The National Enquirer reports at 12:34 AM -0500 9/18/04, Dan Palka wrote:

>I said this:
>
> >> Either your CD is an unsupported format or your drive is broken.
>
>Then Bob wrote this:
>

> > Wow, that's a mighty big leap without knowing what kind of CDs
>
>I thought my statement was fairly generalized to cover pretty much any
>circumstance.

I'm still not convinced we agree on semantics. But setting that aside
for a second, you don't want to go after a mosquito with a cannon
until you know how big the mosquito is. :-)

> >  (are they be Windows CDs?)
>
>This would fall under the "unsupported format" category.

Not in my vernacular. They're supported if you have the right
driver(s). Or always were in the pre-OS X days. I haven't had an
occasion to see check out a Windows CD in OS X.

> > and if all of the correct drivers are installed and active.
>
>There is one extension.  The DVD and CD drivers are the same, single
>system extension, the Apple CD/DVD Extension.  If his computer is
>reading a DVD, then the drivers are installed.  So obviously, its
>either an unsupported format CD, or the drive is broken.

Help me with a frame of reference here. What OS are we talking about?

> > I even recall a few months ago that some newly released
> > audio CDs had a copy-protection scheme that caused all kinds of
> > havoc.
>
>This would fall under the "unsupported" format category.

We're back to the semantics issue again. I'm not sure that I agree
that copy protection is a "format" issue. But it's not important
enough to make a big deal over.

> > I haven't heard much about it lately, so I don't know what the
> > status is on that front.
>
>I also noticed that sometimes CDs don't work in my Wallstreet drive.
>But they're usually CDs that I burn, in an unsupported format.

"Home-cooked" CDs fall into a category all by themselves. I believe
more recent CD players are being made far more tolerant of
noncommercial CDs. But the 1998 CD drive for the Wallstreet wasn't
made to those specs.

>I've also heard of Wallstreet DVD-ROM drives going "bad" in regards to
>not being able to read CD-ROM discs.  This may be the case.

I'm not going to disagree with that at all. My comment was simply
meant to say "start with the easiest and work your way up, don't
start with the most serious alternative." As an example, I've known
lots of people who re-installed their OS, when deleting a simple
preference file would have fixed their problem. That's pretty sad
really.

Bob