Not in my vernacular. They're supported if you have the right driver(s). Or always were in the pre-OS X days. I haven't had an occasion to see check out a Windows CD in OS X.

I've never actually had a problem with Windows CDs. And I only have the Apple CD/DVD Extension.

Help me with a frame of reference here. What OS are we talking about?

Every version of the classic Mac OS that the Wallstreet can run?

I'm not actually sure about how OS 8.1 handles DVDs, but I'm pretty sure 8.5-8.6 does it the same as 9, 9.2.2 to be exact, which is what I have.

We're back to the semantics issue again. I'm not sure that I agree
that copy protection is a "format" issue. But it's not important
enough to make a big deal over.

Well, I'd say that a perfectly fine CD that can't be read by a perfectly fine CD-ROM drive must be in an unsupported format. IMO anyway.

"Home-cooked" CDs fall into a category all by themselves. I believe
more recent CD players are being made far more tolerant of
noncommercial CDs. But the 1998 CD drive for the Wallstreet wasn't
made to those specs.

See above.

I've also heard of Wallstreet DVD-ROM drives going "bad" in regards to
not being able to read CD-ROM discs.  This may be the case.

I'm not going to disagree with that at all. My comment was simply meant to say "start with the easiest and work your way up, don't start with the most serious alternative." As an example, I've known lots of people who re-installed their OS, when deleting a simple preference file would have fixed their problem. That's pretty sad really.

I agree 100%. I just don't see what it could be software or drivers-wise. Being able to read CD-ROM discs is generally a perquisite for reading DVD-ROM discs, so if he can do the latter but not the former, in ALL cases (is this a problem in all cases, by the way?) then something else is wrong.

Bob