I'm glad this thread has dribbled along, it eventually got me thinking
about how many times NAV has spotted a virus on any of my Macs over the
last decade. Exactly none, and it's finally dawned on me how useless it
is to continue using it. I just disabled it and look forward to the
absence of its dialog box every *&%&$ time I launch an installer.

thanks!

Heh heh, OTOH I've _never_ had any AV SW on my one wintel box, but then I
use no M$ products except for the OS itself (W2K). Of course I've turned
off every non-essential service, which probably avoids most of the usual
dangers. Yeah, yeah, I know, just a matter of time . . . but since it's
just a hobby box, I'd have no qualms about just wiping the drive clean
and starting from scratch. Still, it's been OK for a couple of years now,
so I must be doing something right. :-)

As for passing virii onto others, I can't imagine the circumstance where
I'd forward any unknown attachment to anyone, wintel user or otherwise.
Does anyone do that?!? Again though, I use no M$ SW, so perhaps I'm just
"out of it" or something.

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700