If you are selling "VPC with Windows XP SP2" then there's 0 reason why you can't sell "VPC without Windows"

If you have VPC ready to ship but are waiting for SP2 to be released, there's still no reason why you can't release the Windows 2000 version or the version without an OS.

There are many reasons. Think of the buyers (or even sellers) who don't see the difference and purchase a Virtual PC version without an operating system. Think of the buyers who purchase the Windows 2000 version. Why do they have to be punished running an older (MUCH older, as a matter of fact) system? Will they receive XP upgrade later?

I think with the amount of security issues plaguing Windows these days, that was actually a right move. Whether or not Service Pack 2 delivers security, that's another matter.

And they advertise VPC 6 as only working with Win2000 and WinXP, when in fact it will work with 95 and 98 as well.

AFAIR Windows 95 and 98 are discontinued, so are you really that surprised? DOS and probably other operating systems probably also work, but people are on their own when using them, and this is understandable. Also, they might not have been tested thoroughly, for obvious reasons.

Then there's the reality that for every satisfied VPC user there's less of a need for them to run Windows.

It's not that easy. First of all, every "satisfied VPC user" has to have Windows license anyway. Second of all, if somebody likes what they see, they might switch to PCs in the next round.

ps - btw I fully expect that Longhorn will have some kind of integrated VPC (ala "Carbon") if Microsoft follows through on their plan to break all existing Windows programs for it...

You mean Classic?

Marcin Wichary
e:\> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
w:\> www.aci.com.pl/mwichary >> Attached