Yup, just as the modern 3 and 4lb laptops are a joy to carry compared to the
late 90s Wallstreet.  Even on modern hardware, the 12" PB, as an Apple
example, gives up very little to the 17" in terms of performance, but sheds
a whole lot of size and weight, not to mention dollars.  I would still
choose the 12" over the 17" if their prices were reversed, as I simply have
no desire to own a heavy and/or bulky laptop anymore when the smaller and
lighter machines are so nice to use.

The Wintel side has even more variety (as always since more companies mean
more variety).  There too, large desktop-replacement type laptops cost more
and are slightly faster, but again the smaller models are very close in
performance and are so much smaller and lighter as to make the choice easy
for me.

Of coruse, if your laptop is used for something like video editing on the
road, a larger model will be better.  Mine is used for video conferencing,
email, office productivity and watching DVD movies on the road and at home.
For these tasks the smaller screen is not a problem (I plug in a 19" LCD at
home), but the lighter weight and smaller size really benefit.  Just think,
on a coach-class flight, a 17" PB will probably stay in the overhead bin
rather than risk decapitation when the person sitting in front of you
suddenly reclines.  The 12" PB, on the other hand, lets you choose your own
in-flight movie and gross out that old lady sitting next to you as Uma
Thurman sprays blood everywhere in the unedited Kill Bill, rather than
watching Shrek with the language edited for airline use.

Enjoy your boat anchor, you'll never see me buying one.

Andrew