I've been a Mac guy for almost twenty years now, but I'm new to notebook computers and just subscribed to this list, so try to bear with me. I just acquired a Wallstreet G3 233 mhz Powerbook (no L2 aka "Mainstreet"). I got, what I felt was a decent price on this, but I have a couple of issues that I was hoping some of you might be able to help me with. First, the notebook came without a battery pack, so I purchased one "new" on eBay. After figuring out that it goes into the expansion bay normally occupied by the floppy drive ("duh"), I let it charge overnight: nothing! I downloaded the Battery Reset software from the Apple website, but when I run it, it states that "no battery can be found." This is reinforced by the fact that the battery image next to the Finder bar (OS 9.2.2) has a red X through it. When I push the small button on the battery pack, I get one steady green light on the LED, indicating, from what I understand, that the battery is low, but not dead, yet it won't charge. Coincidentally it would appear that the PRAM battery is either dead or run way down on this, too. Would a dead PRAM battery prevent the battery pack from getting charged? Could this be a defective power card? Is it possible that something is simply disconnected?

My second question is of less critical importance, but still related to my Wallstreet: I asked G-Listers for a suggestion for a wireless PCMCIA card for this and someone suggested an ORiNOCO would work great with Airport Drivers. I bought a new one off eBay for less than $20 (!), downloaded Airport 2.0.4 and installed it. When I plug the PC card in, I get an icon on the desktop, but Airport doesn't recognize the card and won't connect. Any ideas? I am thanking you in advance.

Scott Birdwell
DeFalco's Home Wine & Beer Supplies
Houston  TX
www.defalcos.com