on 16/11/04 07:41, John McGibney at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> on 16/11/04 01:42, Mike McGinnis at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> I have been learning from this list for a while and I
>>> now have a problem I haven't been able to solve on my
>>> own. I have a Lombard with OS 10.3.6 which I have
>>> recently decided to change to a Belkin  G pcmcia card
>>> from an Orinoco Silver B card, I uninstalled the
>>> sourceforge drivers I was using with the Belkin card,
>>> in case they were causing a conflict. I understood the
>>> Belkin should be recognized under airport extreme as a
>>> compatible card, it shows on the tool bar as a Ralink
>>> Technology RT2500 card. When I try to start airport
>>> setup it says there is no airport card installed. It
>>> acts like it doesn't have the proper drivers loaded.
>>> What am I missing? After 4 hours on Google I give up I
>>> need some expert help.
>>
>> Well, it looks like the Apple AirPort driver doesn't recognize the card. You
>> might want to try a driver that is known to support that card...
>>
>> -Laurent.
>
> I use the Belkin 54G pcmcia wireless card (f5d7010) in my son's Ti-Book and
> under 10.3 its identified as an "unknown vendor" airport card with the
> following info as found in System Profile.
>
> card ID of TXN,PCI1410-02
> Vendor ID: 0x104c
> Device ID: 0xac50
>
> And yes, it does work under Airport Extreme without any additional drivers.
> It has worked before Airport version 3.4. Try reinstalling/upgrading the
> airport software. If I plug it into my Al-Book it is immediately recognized.

The recognition of a specific card always boils down to the chipset inside
card. I think that AirPort Extreme card have a Broadcom chipset, not sure,
but I think that's what I've read. That means that all cards that have the
same chipset should be recognized. However, keep in mind that sometimes, a
revision to a card will mean a different chipset and even though the card
has still the same brand name, it is not exactly like its predecessor.

I know this first hand because we had the same problem when someone wrote a
wireless driver for the Newton. At first, there were a bunch of cards that
were working. Then, at some point, new revisions started coming out and
specific models that used to work were not working anymore. The reason? The
chipset inside, or so I was told...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

field servoid [play on `android'] /fee'ld ser'voyd/ n.: Representative of a
field service organization (see field circus). This has many of the
implications of droid.