--- Laurent Daudelin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> on 16/11/04 07:41, John McGibney at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >> on 16/11/04 01:42, Mike McGinnis at

> and I
> on my
> have
> card
> card,
> understood the
> extreme as a
> Ralink
> airport
> installed. It
> loaded.
> give up I
> >>
> >> Well, it looks like the Apple AirPort driver
> doesn't recognize the card. You
> >> might want to try a driver that is known to
> support that card...
> >>
> >> -Laurent.
> >
> > I use the Belkin 54G pcmcia wireless card
> (f5d7010) in my son's Ti-Book and
> > under 10.3 its identified as an "unknown vendor"
> airport card with the
> > following info as found in System Profile.
> >
> > card ID of TXN,PCI1410-02
> > Vendor ID: 0x104c
> > Device ID: 0xac50
> >
> > And yes, it does work under Airport Extreme
> without any additional drivers.
> > It has worked before Airport version 3.4. Try
> reinstalling/upgrading the
> > airport software. If I plug it into my Al-Book it
> is immediately recognized.
>
> The recognition of a specific card always boils down
> to the chipset inside
> card. I think that AirPort Extreme card have a
> Broadcom chipset, not sure,
> but I think that's what I've read. That means that
> all cards that have the
> same chipset should be recognized. However, keep in
> mind that sometimes, a
> revision to a card will mean a different chipset and
> even though the card
> has still the same brand name, it is not exactly
> like its predecessor.
>
> I know this first hand because we had the same
> problem when someone wrote a
> wireless driver for the Newton. At first, there were
> a bunch of cards that
> were working. Then, at some point, new revisions
> started coming out and
> specific models that used to work were not working
> anymore. The reason? The
> chipset inside, or so I was told...
>
> -Laurent.
> --
After a nights sleep and a cup of coffee I decided to
Google Ralink Technologies RT2500. What do you know
Belkin changed the chipset unbeknown to the tech I
talked to at Belkin. I now have new drivers which
work, however my first objective was to be able to use
airport drivers and support programs. I guess I call
Belkin again as they claim airport compatibility.

Thanks Laurent and John for the input, Mike