-----Original Message-----
From: G-Books [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Laurent
Daudelin
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 16:35
To: G-Books
Subject: Re: DV editing and dvd burning realistic on a Pismo?

> I am about to buy a DV camcorder and am hoping to edit movies on my
> Pismo, and burn to an external, or possibly internal, DVD-R. Is this
realistic?
> I currently run OS 9.2, but am willing to upgrade to OS X. I am
> contemplating maxing the Ram to 1 Gig and getting a 40- or 60-gig
> internal hard drive.
>
> If this is not practical, I am considering upgrading to an iBook with
> internal Superdrive.
>
> Any ideas will be appreciated. I am new to the list, so forgive me if
> this is an old, worn-out topic.

It is probably doable but will be very slow, specially iMovie. For
burning DVD, you will need some third party solution as iDVD won't run
on a non-G4 system.

If you don't want to waste your time, upgrade to a G4 iBook with the
internal SuperDrive and you'll be ready to edit and burn those DVDs in
no time.
-Laurent.

I don't know about that.  Final Cut Pro HD 'requires' a G4 but it runs
fine on my G3 400 Pismo.  That is after I removed the 'is this a g4'
checks from the installer.  If money is the issue you can probably do it
with what you have plus OS X but encoding is going to take forever.  I'd
recommend that you trade up to a iBook/PowerBook G4 or a get an used G4
Desktop (at least to encode the video).  You will need lots of drive
space and will probably want lots of RAM and a fast hard drive (at least
a 5400RPM laptop drive if not a 7500).

There may also be OS 9 software you can use, but I don't know of any and
think it is doubtful that you could find much.