Kyle,

On 12/17/04 11:56 PM, "Kyle Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 12/17/04 11:39 PM, "Amber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Spew into the
> Cybertrough:
> It's *always* faster than taking it to a local center.  Portables have to be
> sent to apple For repair if they are under warranty.  That is a rule.  Even
> for a certified tech.  So sending it to Apple directly is the fastest way.
> That way you are skipping the middle man.
>
> Apple also turns the machine around the same day they get it.  Meaning that
> if they receive it in the morning it will be shipped back out to you the
> same day fixed. The total turn around time can be as little as 72 hours.
> It's freaking beautiful.
>
> Kyle H. Hansen

That is amazing !!  There are always back ups/waiting lists at any local
center so they usually can't even look at your machine for a couple of days
after you drop it off. My old Indigo iMac spent 10 days at a service center
once...arrrghhh.  Very frustrating because the majority of the time it was
on the shelf.

Since this is my first Mac Portable, this additional benefit of not having
to take it in and wait - and the same day turn around - is fantastic.  I had
no idea they had that policy for turning it around the same day they get it.
I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Applecare tomorrow.  Feeling much
less concerned about spending $380-400 for it now, given all the comments I
have received here.

Thanks guys,

Amber

PS. I read somewhere that you have to buy it within 30 days of the one year
initial warrant expiring.  Is that a new policy or is it still within one
year from the purchase date ? Hoping it's the latter.