Iıve been on this list for about a year now (since I switched back from 6
years of Wintel and bought my 12² G4) and in that time have always wondered
what was up with everyone who is so into their Wallstreet, Lombard and Pismo
PowerBooks.  Now Iım still a big fan of the ³less is more² approach to
laptops, but I must admit that Iım starting to see the appeal in the larger
books.

It started a about 6-weeks-ago when on a whim I bought a Lombard off eBay to
satisfy my daughterıs desire for a laptop of her own.  Well I configured the
333MHz machine with OSX Panther and OS9 and found that it was quite an
enjoyable machine to work on.  Much slower than the G4 and rather unstable,
but still enjoyable. I traced the stability problems to the upper 256MB ram
module and sent it back to OWC last week, with the replacement due any day
now.  Running on only the lower 256MB module the Lombard is rock solid, and
unless I launch more than three or four programs it remains fast enough for
general office-type work.

This is where things got a bit strange.  I am currently studying for the
California bar exam and keep my study folder with all of my outlines and
what not on our desktop PowerMac G4 (400MHz Sawtooth, also running Panther
rather well), which is nice because I like to write and study from my living
room recliner, and when the batteries on my 12² G4 run down, rather than
plugging it in, I just save my work and resume where I left off on the
Lombard.  My wife saw this a few times and then looked over my shoulder and
noticed the large text and overall clarity of the Lombard display, and
proclaimed that as soon as I finish the exam, the Lombard is hers.

Okay, so back to eBay I go to find another computer for my daughter.  I
watched both the ending soon and newly listed views for G3 PowerBooks and
came upon a loaded 400MHz Pismo, which is now sitting on my lap as I write
on its like-new bronze keyboard.  About an hour after buying the Pismo on
eBay, I saw a listing on the LEM Swap list for a Kanga at $150 shipped, so
more out of curiosity than anything I bought that too, thinking if either
the Pismo or the Kanga arrive in clean cosmetic condition I will make that
my daughterıs machine (she is 10 and will use mostly edutainment software in
OS9) and keep the ugly one for myself.  What is really amazing is that I got
all three computers, a pair of old Orinoco pc cards for the Lombard and
Kanga (the Pismo already had an AirPort card) and a total of three working
AC adapters (all compatible with all three computers) and four excellent
batteries (1 Kanga, 3 Lombard/Pismo) for less than the cheapest new iBook
over at my local Apple Store.

The Lombard is the only one that shows any signs of wear, though because its
CD ROM drive and keyboard are a bit quieter than the DVD and keyboard of the
Pismo, it is still my wifeıs choice of computer.  The Pismo is a nice backup
to my G4, and for long hours studying, is actually a far better computer
than the newer aluminum machine.  With the two best batteries installed I
get a whopping 7 hours runtime (the other good battery can hot-swap in for
an additional 2:45) and that 14² TFT is much easier on the eyes for long
sessions than the 12² panel on my G4.

There is also something just friendlier about the black PowerBooks with
their bronze keyboards, and of course the ergonomics are far superior.
About the only downside compared to the G4 is that the keyboard isnıt as
crisp, though its much better than I thought it would be. Actually even the
old Kanga is a delight.  Running OS8.6 (until I get more ram for OS9) is
extremely fast, and that is with the paltry 32MB of ram that it came with.
9.1 should fly after I add 64 or 128MB of ram, and who knows, maybe Iıll
give XPostFacto a try (if I get the 128MB module) and try to run Panther on
it.

So, I guess what Iım trying to say is that while I wonıt be taking this
like-new Pismo with me when I fly, I can see myself really putting a lot of
mileage on its keyboard in the years to come.  These older PowerBooks really
are great examples of superior design, and I can see why you guys like them
so much.  How much was that G4 upgrade again?