I got a 300 watt inverter from WalMart several years ago...paid $40 for it and never had a problem...It will put out up to a total of 150 watts from each ac outlet...Has a built in fan and a low voltage thingy that shuts it off if the car battery is too low...I have run my iMac SE 400 and an Epson 740 printer off of it going down the highway in a van...Works great...Just got a 500 watt unit at WalMart after Christmas for $40 but haven't used it yet...The safest way to use one of these units is to start the car then plug in the inverter...plug in the ac plugs...turn on the inverter then turn on the appliances you are using one at a time...waiting a few seconds in between so the power draw is stabilized and then you are off and running...Shut down is the same...1 appliance at a time then the inverter itself...Took the 300 cross country...powered a 12" color tv and also the computer/printer combo w/out any problem..
HTH..
Mike K

Andrew, a Mac Freak wrote:

I mean put a big load on an inverter without protection and you will
overheat it and something will blow.  That's what happened to a VERY
cheap 50 watt inverter I had a long time ago...it didnt even have a
heatsink!! The whole case on my new one is made out of heatsink
material, and its got a fan in it to prevent this...I wasn't talking
about a 130 watt _inverter_ I was speaking about the _load_  :P

Andrew

Uh, why would a 130-watt one die sooner?