Hi All, some may have heard this story from other lists but now,
after having used & fixed almost every mac ever produced before 1999,
I've met one I can't diagnose! Hoping someone here can help.

We bought a Lombard 400/DVD/256/6 off ebay.. . . .

.. .and it hard-froze all the time under 9.2 (every 2 mins)
... and hard-froze occasionally under 9.1, often with type 2/3 after rebooting
... and locked up as soon as you launch the installation of X10.3
(booting from DVD)
 ...but stable under 9.2 if booted extensions off.
 . . and really happy playing DVDs - can watch an entire DVD in 9.1

Just to be clear these are all fresh installs, formatted HD, two
different HDs, nvram reset etc - I used to think I knew what I was
doing in these cases.

So I'm thinking RAM or CPU card here - ok so far?
Ram fitted was Kingston KTA-iMac/128 x 2.  Tried swapping / removing
one at a time , no difference.

Today I got a new (£££!) Crucial 256 Mb chip for it instead of the
Kingston. And this is where I'm _really_ confused. Now it is much
better but still bad:

..totally stable in 9.1
..locks up sometimes in 9.2
..will get part way through installing X10.3

So it is a lot better but not right.

I have 3 theories:

1) the RAM. The original was PC-66. The new is PC-100. Maybe PC-133
would cure it?    I called Crucial and they were really helpful -
they have sold about 100 modules for that model and had <3% returns,
they are sure it is ok. They were adamant the PC-133 would not help.

2) The CPU card
3) The Mobo

So.. (sorry for the long post) WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

Any suggestions very welcome, it is beginning to get to me!

Ben

-- The VidaVerde Seed Collection 14 Southdown Avenue, Lewes East Sussex, BN7 1EL

Excellent Vegetables For the Kitchen Garden:
Illustrated Catalogue at http://www.realseeds.co.uk
Or call 01239 821107 for a paper copy.