Hello Tom
As I am workin at a viennese ISP maybe I could give you some hints *g*

"the active cable box" => for me this sounds like a cable connection, here
in Austria usually thru the company Chello. Chello does not chek the MAC
adress of the router behind the cable box, you only have to set the Router's
IP to the static IP given by Chello. So behind the Router you could setup
your own network doin DHCP or static Ips with a private subnet. At home we
are using a Netgear WLAN Router (and Windose, Mac and Linux) connected to
the Cable Box and it works just fine - but I don't have any experiences with
Belkin products. But I think as long as the Computer or Router handling the
Connection uses the ISP given static IP, any setup should work fine.
I hope I was able to give you some information about the austrian (yeah,
it's austria AUT not australia...;-) cable broad band and if you have
additional questions regarding austria just ask - we are friendly and open
people ....

Greetings from Vienna
Thomas

But beware - Chello sometimes cuts the Download rate if you try to use a
file sharing app like Limewire *g*