Hi all
I'm a newbie to the list, so please forgive me if I breach protocol in
any way!
I've used Macs for years, but this is my first G3. And I've just run up
against a big problem, one that I've never encountered before, and which
prevents me using it at all.
I'll try and be as clear and concise as possible, and give as many clues
as I can:
My G3, OS 9.1, which altho not new, is new to me--I've been using it for
about a month.
Last week when I booted up I noticed that a few dotted lines had
strangely appeared on my desktop screen.
I went ahead with my project of the evening, anyway, which was to
download OutlookExpress506ENU.bin.
By the time the download was done, the screen was covered in a rash of
dotted lines and the cursor had a shadow that looked a bit like the
shape of 2 AA batteries trailing behind it.
I was still able to get on the Internet, and the opening page of the
website I went to was ok. However, as soon as I began scrolling
down--not before I scrolled down--the text and graphics on the page were
replaced by a rash of dotted lines making it impossible to continue. It
didn't matter which method I used to scroll--dragging the right-hand
sidebar down, clicking on the little black down arrow, or using the
keyboard arrow--the effect was the same. I noticed that clicking on a
part of the page restored that small part of the page to "normal." By
the time I got back to the desktop, to shut the laptop down, the desktop
was extremely distorted and the menu at the top had disappeared. I had
to use the keyboard to shut down.
That essentially is the problem.
Here is some additional information which may or may not be useful:
1. I've had the laptop for 3-4 years without using it--just powering it
up from time to time to make sure it hadn't died on me.
I only began to seriously get it up and running about a month ago. My
brother-in-law (who had kindly given the laptop to me), was worried
there might be a PRAM issue when the
date went haywire about six weeks ago, ago, but installation of a good
battery seemed to solve the problem (so I haven't done anything with the
PRAM).
2. I had been successfully word processing.
3. I had been successfully using the Internet, but I needed to upgrade
from 4.5 Internet Explorer, which I did, successfully, after downloading
Aladdin.
4. I subscribed to the ISP fastermac.net a month or so ago, but realized
I needed to upgrade my Outlook Express (altho I can receive email at
fastermac.net, I found that I can't send it, until I upgrade from the
current Outlook Expres 4.5).
5. The evening I noticed the dotted lines on the screen was the evening
I planned to download OutlookExpress506ENU.bin. I did download, but
while the download was going on, the screen was becoming covered in
dotted lines. I don't think it was the download that caused the problem,
since (as I mentioned previously) I had noticed a few stray dotted lines
on the screen when I booted up.
If anyone is familiar with this scenario and knows what's going on I
would really, really appreciate the feedback.
Thanks in advance!
Kerry M.