> > It sounds like a fairly complex issue, so does anyone have suggestions
> about
> > where to look (cryptic logs, etc) or what to do to toubleshoot this? I
> would
> > not really think it's the RAM the issue here... I mean, OS X installed
> fine
> > eventually... or?
>
> Have you checked the crash log for the installer? That could give you some
> clues about what went wrong. Have you repaired the permissions after all
> the
> work you did?
>
> -Laurent.

didn't have yet time to check the iLife & Garageband install logs on the
clean system, will do that next thing (don't have the PB with me now). But
the Security Update Install log simply mentioned it had failed (no other
clues). Didn't check permissions after the clean OS install. Do I have to???

First thing I did after the the first batch of installs was copying the
installers over to another machine over airport. While copying is where it
crashed the first time. By the time I managed to launch disk utility, the
other partitions had gone and repair disk permissions was hanging at about
10% progress, machine froze. By the way, disk utility reported the other
partitions as OK, even if they were grayed out. Its log, showed "mount OK"
when i tried to mount them.

System logs seemed to show only a problem related to the Modem at boot time
(?? I do not use it in any internet config), and something very cryptic
probably related to the missing Volumes. Nothing I understood, but these
partitions are clearly not the problem, rather victims. I gave up
scrutinising the logs and went for the OS install instead, hoping to wipe
the problem, which apparently I didn't.

cheers, gianfranco

--
Handyrechnung zu hoch? Tipp: SMS und MMS mit GMX
Seien Sie so frei: Alle Infos unter http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freesms