On Apr 20, 2005, at 6:21 AM, Mikael Byström wrote:

Today, no. In the future, who knows. I know the EU countries have been
persuaded by the film and music companies to more or less ban p2p sharing
technologies.

That also bans OS X, Linux and Windows, as all offer peer-to-peer networking.

On our network here we specifically ban the use of those clients, but largely because we've found they turn into gigantic bandwidth suckers which impact our official use of the network.

Why? because they're used pretty much exclusively for trading songs, films and pirated software, usually on a large scale.

(one person here on campus had a library of 12,000 MP3 files they were actively sharing. At one point that one workstation was using 90% of the bandwidth capacity for their entire center, several hundred people, with an equal number of computers. Given that the business of the center is cancer research, this was an entirely inappropriate use of bandwidth, and they were shut down.

At the same time, 85% of all the traffic in the dorms was shown to be napster/grokster/kazaa/limewire related. At these levels it isn't just some nusiance, it's a significant detriment to network availability for legitimate use.)

That's what these technologies, starting with napster, were intended for in the first place, that's what they've largely been used for, and that's what they continue to be used for.

Yes they have legitimate uses, and mere possession of the software should not be viewed with suspicion, however, the preponderance of evidence shows that what people are sharing is largely music files, films and warez.

Get on the networks and browse, see what's there...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona