I have had all Apple 'Books since the 100 series and I always opted for the "professional solution": and when Apple introduced the iBook line I never considered one of them.

So I had the WS/Lombard/Pismo things instead of colored iBooks and, more recently I opted for the Aluminium instead of the iBook G4.

Then I noticed a sort of idiosyncrasy of the PB G4 for certain old projectors (*) and for one of my presentations I borrowed an iBook G4 933 MHz from one of my laboratory collaborators.

I liked it so much that I bought a Mac mini to the lab (they actually do not need the iBook and where happy with a "true PC that runs Macintosh stuff") and had since the opportunity of travelling with this iBook instead of the Aluminium.

Some consideration:

The Aluminium is not portable: too delicate, while the iBook is rugged and sturdy. Last week I travelled in Slovakia for a couple of presentations and the iBook was at home in the Jansport back pack, stuffed with other things (ordinary backpack, not a laptop one). The case is scratched, but you do not notice it: I cannot think of what had happened to the Aluminium (I have seen so many Titanium cases simply destroyed after a couple of trips).

For the Aluminium I have the sleeve, the neoprene bag AND the specific laptop bag: the operations to dress or undress the PowerBook may take such 5 minutes... no kidding!

What is the point of making such a delicate thing? The previous PowerBook G3 line was as robust as the iBook series was.

Of course the book lacks some horsepower and the screen resolution is not sufficient for applications with palettes (preparing a keynote presentation on this iBook was a pain...) but for general use it is okay.

If only Apple put a PowerBook logic board into the iBook!

Opinions?

Ben

(*) one of the problems that I noted was related a missing pin on the projector plug: so that the images lack of red color. All PC notebook worked fine, just no red shown, the iBook the same while the Aluminium without that pin was not able to show anything.