A video connector is a video connector is a video connector...if a pin breaks off, it's broken. I've seen them broken on many machines.

the pin was missing from the cable from the projector to the laptop.

Without that pin ALL laptops (anything except the Aluminium, including PC and iBooks) send the images with the red problem: the Aluminium does not show anything.