It always depends on what you're planning to use. If you are planning to use
any application that would benefit (or even require) a G4, then the choice
is obvious. Otherwise, the faster G3 will deliver more speed. Also, the
processor speed itself should not always be the only factor to consider when
buying a processor upgrade. The speed of the cache is also important. For
instance, Sonnet offers an 1GHz G4 processor upgrade for Beige G3, B&W G3
and first generation PowerMac G4. However, the system bus in this upgrade
runs at 66% of the original speed of the B&W and G4 bus, which is 66MHz
instead of 100MHz. The bottom line is that it is not much faster than the
OWC Mercury Z600 G4 500-600MHz ZIF because of this.

More details here:
<http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/G3_1.1GHz_vs_G4_1GHz_review/index.html>

-Laurent.