You bring up an excellent point- college professors, while some can be quite fascist-like in their classrooms, are not particularly paid well. Generally speaking, a person with a PHD will do better in the open market than in a school. What's more, they do not make policy. Odds are they receive no benefit from the schools implementing such policies that step on the rights and choices of the students.
Brian