on 12/06/05 22:08, Pacer at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My Fellow PowerBook-philes,
>
> This is something I have been hearing a lot lately:  "Steve never said
> it would necessarily be x86 architecture!"
>
> Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but it likely will be.  More clues
> point towards this than some other, fancier architecture.
>
> For example:  The PowerMac he was running the presentation on was using
> an Intel Pentium 4 Ghz chip.  (Unless someone saw something different,
> the keynote was a bit grainy.)
>
> The unviersal binaries are mentioned to be able to run on PowerPC and
> x86 Intel architecture.
>
> The developer boxes that people have gotten have Pentiums in them.
>
> This does not mean that Apple won't be using an Apple-specific chip at
> some point, but it does likely mean that said chip will likely be x86
> backward compatible.
>
> I feel the PowerPC was a bit more inherently stable (read some of the
> notes on MacSlash about bit addressing) and the Altivec instructions
> were likely a bit better for high-end number-crunching (I've already
> read multiple worries from scientists who prefer the PowerPC), but for
> the over-all consumer I'd say there will not be much difference.  A
> program might crash twice a year instead of once a year, but it still
> won't affect the OS.
>
> Virii also will not be an issue -- unless you believe some corporate spy
> is very intent on using the alleged HyperThreading exploit to steal your
> password so they can get access to all your iPhotos.
>
> I'm a bit melancholy.  I liked being different.  I like the PowerPC.
> But it is a line not suited for Apple's plans.
>
> I am more worried about the effect on Apple the company rather than any
> problems with new Macs.

The exact processor is pretty irrelevant. As was demonstrated at the WWDC,
Mac OS X is easily portable to another processor. That doesn't mean any
processor but they could recompile OS X for pretty much any compressor they
like. The key is here: as long as they have a compiler that can generate
executable code for that processor, we are in business!

So, I would take the references to the "x86" with a grain of salt...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

flowchart n.: [techspeak] An archaic form of visual control-flow
specification employing arrows and 'speech balloons' of various shapes.
Hackers never use flowcharts, consider them extremely silly, and associate
them with COBOL programmers, card wallopers, and other lower forms of life.
This attitude follows from the observations that flowcharts (at least from a
hacker's point of view) are no easier to read than code, are less precise,
and tend to fall out of sync with the code (so that they either obfuscate it
rather than explaining it, or require extra maintenance effort that doesn't
improve the code). See also PDL, sense 1.