On Jun 13, 2005, at 12:33 AM, Ben Dyer wrote:

The jury's still out on exactly what they'll do with the chipset, whether it'll be a standard Intel type or custom-made for Apple, but either way, it won't be too far removed (technologically) from ordinary PC hardware.

This is one of the big questions - there's even been talk that Intel would do the motherboard design for Apple. My track record of second guessing Apple is only so-so but I can't see Apple totally walking away from the hardware design of their computers. I can, however, see Apple working *with* Intel. I'm also guessing that the chipset will be far enough removed from the standard Wintel chipset that it will require more than a little software hacking to run OS X on a Dell.

Personally, I'm looking forward to replacing my 1.67GHz PowerBook with something roughly 3 times as fast (if what I've been hearing about OS X performance on the developer boxes is correct) in about a year's time. The transition will be a headache for a lot of developers, but it's definitely the right move to make.

It will be interesting to see how OS X performs on Intel - it will especially be interesting to compare WinXP to OS X on very similar hardware. I'm currently using a Dell notebook at the university and it is quite impressive (although I know bit rot will eventually set in and at some point a virus is going to get past the barrier or some piece of malware will be implanted and then I'll want to throw it across the room). This is the first Windows notebook I've used that I could consider using full time - I've felt that way about PowerBooks since my first iBook. That it isn't significantly slower than my desktop is important but what I particularly like is how frugal it is with the battery. And that is why I'm excited about the switch. Once again I'll be able to own a PowerBook that can go all day without being tethered.

david