My Fellow PowerBook-philes,

Not quite the case. In order to compile a universal binary, that universal binary must have binary specific code for each architecture it will be running on. The "universal binaries" Jobs spoke of at the WWDC are for PowerPC and x86. They could include other architectures, such as SPARC or Itanium or some other line, but they have not.

So while it might be relatively trivial to recompile code, the code would still need to be recompiled after another switch. Which means a software developer would have to re-release the product with the new Universal Binary which included the new processor. Which means we'd all have to buy that new version to have it work on all the supported architectures.

No, I am fairly certain, at least for the immediate future, Apple with use x86.

Sincerely,
Pacer the Loon

Laurent Daudelin wrote:

The exact processor is pretty irrelevant. As was demonstrated at the WWDC,

Mac OS X is easily portable to another processor. That doesn't mean any
processor but they could recompile OS X for pretty much any compressor they
like. The key is here: as long as they have a compiler that can generate
executable code for that processor, we are in business!

So, I would take the references to the "x86" with a grain of salt...

-Laurent.