On Jun 13, 2005, at 6:18 AM, Helen Nersesova wrote:

-An old friend of mine and macs says that he welcomes the idea about as much as making MacDonalds compulsory:)

If you're programming in Cocoa, and your app doesn't do anything funky with Altivec or other bits of hardware, it's a matter of a few hours of work; some of which is taken up with installing XCode 2.1. For many apps it's a matter of opening your project, opening one menu item, clicking on a checkbox, then recompiling.

The developers for Luxology said they ported their Modo 3D Modeller in a couple of hours, literally it needed just a recompile. <http:// www.luxology.com/modo/>

If yours is a Carbon app, then is definitely more work; but I've heard it described as 'about on par from moving from 10.2 to 10.3'.

Of you use Code Warrior, or some other development environment, then you're in for a hard slog. However, Apple's been urging you to switch for quite a while now.

-We are developers of software for Macs. Hope, Apple might be willing to provide the developer kit at a lower price (or even at no charge.) Surely they realize that without developers, their product will not be successful.

Apple is 'renting' the development boxes for $1k to developers (they have to be returned when the real X86 macs ship, from what I've read.)

Their development software, as always, is entirely free. Go to Apple's site and download it.

--
Bruce Johnson

"no matter where you go, there you are", B. Banzai