On Jun 13, 2005, at 9:59 AM, Dan O'Donnell wrote:

On Jun 12, 2005, at 9:33 PM, Ben Dyer wrote:

Personally, I'm looking forward to replacing my 1.67GHz PowerBook with something roughly 3 times as fast (if what I've been hearing about OS X performance on the developer boxes is correct) in about a year's time. The transition will be a headache for a lot of developers, but it's definitely the right move to make.

It seems to me that for many of us the big question is about our investment in software, and whether buying a new x86 machine may be the least expensive part of a change.

That is, repurchasing some - or much - of our accumulated software in a version that has been recently translated from PPC code to x86 code could be far more expensive than shelling out $2k-$3k for a new machine. I can see this as an opportunity for many software developers and publishers to resell the same title to those who need it for some cost either equal to or somewhat less than the cost of that same title when purchased new.

Rosetta is going to make that transition a lot easier than you might think, depending on the app.

Yeah, it will depend on the developer, and where they are in their own upgrade cycles. Look at Adobe for example: getting the OS X- compatible version of Photoshop cost the same as an upgrade...because it WAS an upgrade, from Version 6 to Version 7.

I expect the response of developers to run the gamut between 'here download the X86 version for free' to 'pay $19.95 for a cd of the universal version' to 'upgrade to version N+1 Of Bloowats confabulator for $149' to 'I'm sorry, but Quark is not yet finished evaluating the commmittee selection to determine the X86 porting schedule team membership.'

This is a disruptive change, but believe it or not, most developers don't want to piss off their customers. They're not seeing this and gloating 'A Ha! I can fleece the suckers for another full-price copy, Bwahahahahaha!'

An app that merely takes a recompile to port is going to bring on nothing more than media costs for companies to make the switch; this is far less of a change than 68K to PPC or OS 9 to OS X.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'