At 9:06 AM -0400 6/23/05, Peter Saint James wrote:
Several months ago, we discussed using or not using surge suppressors with Powerbooks, and I found out the hard way that we came to an erroneous conclusion.

We concluded that the power adapter would protect the Powerbook from a surge. Turns out this is not true.

I have to admit that the surge to my book was a big one. A bolt of lightening hit near my house. It knocked out the surge suppressor then continued on, zapping the printer, other items that were plugged into it, and my powerbook.

Well, there are surges, and then there are surges. A surge protector will protect your kit against things like switching transients and the like - the "typical" kind of thing that happens on a distribution system, but it would be an inappropriate expectation if you thought that it could protect you against a close lightning strike.

Just consider for a moment what's going on. You have a bolt of lightning that has the potential to overcome the insulating value of a layer of air that's a mile or more thick. If it strikes the distribution line near your house, it has a path to all of your appliances (with only the distribution transformer to mitigate the intensity). If it hits the secondary side of the transformer (your service drop) then you're really in for a blast.

Even unplugging the appliances isn't a guarantee that they would be spared. The surge can jump the gap between the plug socket and the end of the cord on the floor (remember, it just jumped a gap of a mile, so this gap of a foot is nothing). And it can certainly pass through and destroy your surge protector, fusing metal on the way. There is a tremendous amount of energy in a lightning strike, and to think that some little circuit in a plastic box is going to stop it is sheer folly.

About two years ago we had an incident here where I live in which there was a lightning strike near a home (occupants were at work) and when the owners returned they found most of their appliances - TV, Fridge, stereo, etc. - totally destroyed. They were lucky that the house didn't burn down.

What can you do? Well, if you are worried about a close strike, you should power down all of the computer gear, then unplug the cords and move them away from the wall outlet as far as you can. If you have a laptop, either use it on a battery or shut it off too. If you get a lightning strike just outside of the house the air around you will have a very high field strength, and it could damage your computer even if it is unplugged. You'll feel it on your skin. Remember, we're talking about tens of millions of volts here. And relatively speaking it doesn't take a lot of voltage to damage silicon. Putting the PowerBook in a metal box would help.

Mostly lightning doesn't strike close enough to worry about. And it more often than not strikes a tree as opposed to the distribution system. And strikes on the secondary would be even more rare. So statistically you are not likely to become a victim of the lightning surge, but it can happen, and when it does, if it's close, you'll be lucky if you don't get some damage.

I know of no commercial product that would protect your computer gear from lightning if the strike is just outside your house. The brochure may say it will, but you can take it to the bank that lightning doesn't know what the brochure says.

 - web

P.S. I used to be a utility engineer and for three years I did the protective device coordination for the provincial power utility. Trust me, lightning is impressively powerful.