Once upon a time (Tue Jul 05), Claire Hart wrote:

> Today I talked to the person that handles computer support for
> the company I will be working for. (He is not in-house, but works
> independently.) He says he has "worked" on Macs, but he doesn't know
> what Virtual PC is, and he can't believe that I don't have antivirus
> software running.

Claire,

Virtual PC (VPC) is what it sounds like: it is a PC implemented in
software rather than hardware. The software emulates a particular
basic PC, including a particular level of Pentium CPU, graphics card,
so on. Then you "install" a copy of MS Windows onto that virtual
computer, and within that install other software. Functionally,
Windows and the other software knows no difference between the virtual
environment and a physical environment. You will only have issues with
software which depends on particular hardware, especially graphics,
to operate. The vast majority of non-game PC software will work just
fine in VPC. Some esoteric software may not, but I seriously doubt
that any mundane real estate software would have any issue.

Unfortunately, the copy of Windows executing in the virtual PC is
just as susceptible to viruses and worms as any other copy. It should
have anti-virus software installed, both to protect itself and other
Windows computers on the network.

> He did tell me that the whole office runs on a server. The word
> "server" is not exactly good news. I think that the office has a
> staff person that installs everyone's software for them.

When the guy says "server" it is 99.9% likely that he is speaking
only of simple file and printer serving, perhaps with a Windows
domain security scheme. They also probably use Exchange for
email/calendaring. The Mac OS X works fine with such servers, and
the Windows within VPC would as well. That is not an issue. In the PC
world, a server typically serves only files and printers, and perhaps
database connections, although recently with remote desktop software
a PC server can actually execute applications for display on client
machines. But even if they are doing that, which I really doubt given
the guy's apparent level of competence, you shouldn't have a problem.

> So, here is my request one more time: Is anyone out there selling
> real estate, using current software that is written for real estate
> agents, and accomplishing it with a Mac? Or do you know of someone
> who is? Please, please, please respond if it is working for you.

I work with clients who are realtors, using software to access the MLS
system. Until a couple years ago, they were still using ancient DOS
software connecting via a dial-up connection to the MLS server. They
now use a more modern Windows based software package, which accesses
the MLS data over the Internet. But that software is still trivial.

Also, I did a quick Google search for Macs and MLS, and found this
blurb:

        New Tech Support Group Formed for Mac Users

        Are you a Macintosh user? Join the new REALTORĀ® Macintosh Users
        Group, REMUG. This group is committed to finding solutions
        to issues involving Macintosh systems and real estate
        software. Contact Michael Cook [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        for details.

So, somebody out there is using a Mac.

Larry
--
Lawrence Weeks                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Anabasis Consulting Ltd