I think flogging off surplus equipment like this is a terrific idea. If
they had auctioned off the lot in bulk, they wouldn't have gotten much
more than $50 each anyhow. Better the iBooks stay in the community that
originally paid for them. That way the community gets the benefit rather
than (usually) a for-profit recycling/refurbing company. Not that I'm
against for-profits making a buck, but we _are_ talking about public
funds here. (Yeah, I know - some of these iBooks will turn up on eBay and
elsewhere - still, I'm sure most will stay with, and be used by, county
residents.)

Henrico County's implimentation of the sale wasn't the best though. There
are plenty of ways to control this sort of thing, too bad they didn't
forsee how many buyers would show up.

Shame the replacements are Dell . . . hee hee - wanna bet there'll be no
similar riot when Henrico County goes to flog off that lot in a couple of
years? That's if enough survive to even bother!

dan k

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700