If the Mac "spoke for itself" we'd have the majority of the market share.  :)

Of course, it would have helped if Apple did what IBM did, and allowed
others access to the ROMs so clones could have been made.

No, PC wonks have convinced the public that theirs machines are true
computers and Macs are at best either toys or only something a graphic
artist would use.  Matter of fact they've even stolen the phrase "PC."
 My PowerBook is as much a "personal computer" than any off-brand POS
someone picks up at WalMart!  (more so!)