>     Hey folks - thanks for all that good advice.  I really appreciate
it.
> Bob
>
> > Recently, I swapped the 10GB in my iBook (dual USB-500) for a 40GB
> > obtained on eBay. Used the guide from PBFixit.com
> > (http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/50.0.0.html) and the whole thing took
> > about twenty minutes. The take-apart looks daunting at first, but it
> > goes quickly. Hardest part (for me) was getting the darned plastic
case
> > separated... the stylus from my Palm Pilot came in handy for this.
> >
> > I use the drive as a single 40 GB partition since I have no need for
> > classic on the 'book. Maxed out the ram and 10.3.9 runs very well
for
> > me.
>
>     Amanda, you give me hope.  I am retired from my first career,
working
> part time as a consultant and I have a month off coming up.  With your
> words
> of encouragement, I think I will order a HD, get the tools I need from
> Radio
> Shack and give it shot.  (Can you hear my wife groaning in the
> background???)  Twenty minutes!!  You ever consider a career change?

Heh, I =did= consider a career change. In July of 2001 I left
manufacturing to go to a three month school to prepare for A+
certification. The events of the summer kind of put the skids on getting
a job in that field however.
These days, I just do freelance geek work... mostly peecees though I
know my way around Macs.

>     If for no other reason, think I'd do it just so I'd have an excuse
> add a Spudger to my tool kit.  Who ever came up with that name?

I'm tellin' ya... I was looking through the tools required... torx,
phillips, flat, spudger... er... sp... spudger!? What the H**L is
that????
Anyway... the stylus works just fine and, while not the =right= tool, it
sounds better than "spudger"! ;)

Amanda