>> I was thinking of getting a Philips DVD Recorder that burns to DVD+R
>> and +RW only. Great deal, but only if it works!
>>

>I've sold lots of cdrw and some dvdrw drives over the last few years.
>If there is one brand I would suggest you stay away from, it is
>Phillips.  I have seen more failed Phillips drives then probably all
>others combined.  You can probably still go onto ebay and find bundles
>of 50 available for cheap.  Do yourself a favor and reconsider.  My 2cents.

Try and get a drive which is natively supported by OS X or OS 9, or
whatever you use.

The Pioneer DVR-K05 is supported natively by 10.4, and is supported
through PatchBurn by 10.3.

Both my Panasonic UJ-845 and my Pioneer DVR-K05 have been great drives.

And, in my desktops, I use Pioneer DVR-106, -107 and -109 drives.

The -109 supports dual-layer; the -106 and -107 do not (but these do
support + media).