Actually, I've burned DVD from my Lombard using an external burner (Sony DVD RE DW-U18A - Firewire) and Toast Titanium 6. Lombard is a 400 with no upgrade. As for the upgrade, nice to have (I want one too) but not necessary for your project, IMHO.

Henry

I have a Pismo 400MHz, 768 RAM, 40G running 10.3.9.

Obviously the first thing I need is the DVD burner. Probably will go with the internal. But I was wondering if I had enough horsepower to accomplish this. Anybody out there burning DVDs on a Pismo? What upgrades would help the most? G3 900 or G4 500? More RAM? Faster hard drive speed?

I am happy with my Pismo, and will probably wait for the equivalent of a G5 laptop before I replace it. Or maybe not if I have to put so much $ into this to make editing and burning DVDs practical....

WegenerMedia has a pretty tempting offer on the G4 500 upgrade.

My main projects will be converting VCR tapes over to DVD and editing them with chapters and possible background music. We have a bunch of tapes and photos that I want to get on DVDs to look nice, share and preserve. I'd like to use my current laptop but I want to see what is possible before I spend too much.

Please let me know of your experiences.

Thanks!

Dan-