On Sep 30, 2005, at 5:46 PM, Howard Katz wrote:

Except.....shouldn't I be able to boot from the drive by turning on
the computer and holding down the "T" key?  I tried that and I do get
the "firewire" emblem bouncing around the screen, screensaver-style.
Am I missing a step?

You're not missing a step, you're just doing something that's not what you want to be doing.

Holding down the "T" on bootup turns your computer into a firewire drive - nothing more - so you can now connect it to ANOTHER computer which sees it as an external FW drive. That's what the bouncing firewire symbol means.

But when you've booted your computer in firewire mode, you now effectively have 2 drives and no computer!

What you want to do is change the startup disk - go to system preferences and click on "startup disk" and choose the system on your external drive.

Or hold down "option" while booting.

Anne