On Oct 16, 2005, at 11:02 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

Hello list.

I've been having an annoying problem for the last few weeks. I have 6
computers connected through a switch and a D-Link router (all wired).

From time to time, for a reason that still escapes me, when a laptop (iBook

or my PowerBook) wakes up from sleep, it will complain that the IP address it had is in use by another computer. I have DHCP enabled in the D- Link router with addresses going from 192.168.0.100 through 192.168.0.199. Isn't the DHCP server supposed to assign another address when the previous one has
been taken? What am I doing wrong?

Check the lease time setting in the D-Link router. What is likely happening is that the powerbook is asleep longer than the lease time, and the D-link re-assigns the IP address to another system.

The powerbook wakes up and someone else has it's address.

On the powerbook you can bring up the networking pref pane and renew the lease on the TCP/IP tab. that will get a new IP address and you can go.

You can also set the lease time for much longer on the router, or even assign static addresses to the systems connecting to it. This would be set on the D-link.

--
Bruce Johnson
This is the sig that says 'NI!'