At 9:44 PM -0400 10/16/05, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
on 16/10/05 15:46, Bruce Johnson at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 > Check the lease time setting in the D-Link router. What is likely
 happening is that the powerbook is asleep longer than the lease time,
 and the D-link re-assigns the IP address to another system.

 The powerbook wakes up and someone else has it's address.

The powerbook should know it's lease has expired and re-apply for an address. "Should" being the operative phrase here.

 On the powerbook you can bring up the networking pref pane and renew
 the lease on the TCP/IP tab. that will get a new IP address and you
 can go.

 You can also set the lease time for much longer on the router, or
 even assign static addresses to the systems connecting to it. This

 --
 Bruce Johnson
 This is the sig that says 'NI!'

Ah ah! That might be it. I checked the settings on the router and realized
the lease was 1 hour. So, I put it at 1 day. I could go for a week. Would a
week be better than a day? My children iBooks might not be used for longer
than a day.

Basically you want to set the lease time to how long you can wait to until applying new settings. If you set the lease time really long (weeks, months) you can have problems if you need to change one of the settings (router address, DNS). You can of course go through and manually update the lease but that is a pain if you have many machines.

When things are stable a day lease should be fine. While working on the settings 1 hour or less is usually a good idea.

FYI, the normal protocol is for the client to renew the lease at the halfway mark (ie. 30 minutes for a 1 hour lease).

Changing the lease setting shouldn't foul things up, the existing leases should still retain their lease times until they are renewed then they will use the new settings.

This may be an issue with the D-Link's lease algorithm. These in expensive routers are notorious for taking shortcuts on some of the protocols. And DHCP in general seems to get implemented oddly by many vendors.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA