Greetings listers --

All of a sudden my ethernet connection won't connect. It's the simplest possible network, two computers (a B&W G3 and a Lombard G-3 PB, both running OS 10.3 and 9.2.2) intermittently tied together with a simple crossover ethernet cable so that they can back each other up and so that I can use whichever seems most convenient -- they virtually mirror each other, or at least they did until the connection broke down a week or so ago. System profiler on both computers shows the ethernet capability as operative, but attempts to connect produce "no response from server". Separately, each computer works perfectly.

I've used some variant of this system for years, never had any trouble with it till now

Here's what I've tried so far.

(a) a different ethernet cable (I thought maybe the cat had been chewing on it). No difference.

(b) booting up in OS 9: the other computer doesn't appear in the Chooser.

(c) reinstalling OS 9 (because I'd stripped it down a lot in the original installation, and thought maybe some crucial file had been omitted). No difference.

(d) dragging out my old 5300 and trying to connect each of the current computers to that, on the assumption that there had to be a hardware problem in one or the other of them. Neither one could connect. Just for fun I also dragged out my old 1400, that never has had ethernet capability, and tried hooking it up to the 5300 with a serial cable: that DID work, though does nothing to solve the present difficulty.

I have no idea what might be wrong, or what to do to fix it. Fortunately I've also got a USB zip drive, so can back up files to that, and transfer them by moving the zip from the desktop to the laptop -- but what a slow cumbersome nuisance!

Best,
Victoria