At 11:04 AM -0700 10/19/2005, Victoria Brandon wrote:
All of a sudden my ethernet connection won't connect. It's the simplest possible network, two computers (a B&W G3 and a Lombard G-3 PB, both running OS 10.3 and 9.2.2) intermittently tied together with a simple crossover ethernet cable

Using a crossover cable makes for a twitchy set-up at best. "intermittently"? You mean you unplug that cable now and then... I'd expect that to eventually cause a failure as the networking (IP and/or AppleTalk) stacks get out of sync with the drivers which get out of sync with the cables' CTS.

Turn off file sharing on both machines.
Turn off AppleTalk on both machines.
Reboot.
Connect the cable.
Turn on AppleTalk on both.
Turn on File Sharing on both.

DO NOT disconnect that cable. AppleTalk's driver requires a CTS signal from the ethernet cable at all times. In a normal set-up, a hub would supply this, allowing you to disconnect the other computer etc.

HTH,
- Dan.