On 1/11/06 3:19 PM, "Amber R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have just had a very frustrating conversation with Applecare and
> was told that the keyboard and latch on my Powerbook are not covered
> at all.
>
> I am still under the Applecare warranty period and was actually told
> by Applecare technical support that these items were covered.
>
> However, in talking with customer care, they have advised me that
> Applecare only covers hardware.   Are the latch and keyboard not
> considered hardware ?
>
> Has anybody here had any problems with getting these two items
> repaired under Applecare ?

Amber - this is patently untrue. Call again and if this tech "support"
person makes the same claim, firmly but politely request that your call be
transferred to a supervisor. The first person you talk to is a gatekeeper
whose job is to make you go away.

I've had three keyboards replaced. My first iBook lost the 'e' key and
without question the tech support woman immediately asked for confirmation
of my address to send a new keyboard. My second iBook the keyboard failed
entirely and I was warned that when I returned the original keyboard it
would be examined for abuse and water damage and I might be charged full
price. I was quoted $99 if I remember correctly. I was not charged.

My current PowerBook has had 2 keyboard replacements. The first developed a
stuttering '5' key - sometimes it wouldn't type and other times it double
typed. Of course the PowerBook keyboard isn't user replaceable. It was
replaced under warranty. This winter the latch began to sporadically fail to
close. This was repaired under AppleCare extended warranty AND when it was
returned the paperwork mentioned a new keyboard. The backlighting had
stopped working on the number keys and I guess the tech noticed it. I didn't
care and hadn't even thought about getting it repaired.

BTW, if you have a local Apple store or independent dealer you might want to
deal locally rather than over the phone. I think it is much easier to say
"no" to a voice over the phone than a up close and personal.

david