At 9:19 PM -0500 01/12/2006, diane wrote:
At 5:10 PM -0800 1/12/06, sandra ragan wrote:
Take the near demise of the Desktop metaphor Finder (specifically as iconic/object representations) in the first round of OSX... I for one spent 5 years in a firm moving people from command line interfaces to GUIs... not because it made money, but because our brains process massive amounts of information faster visually and we see patterns in that information easier visually... comes with being

That's really interesting, as in the "pc" world I find the command line to much quicker for me than GUI. And in the Mac world (since 1987) I am first and foremost a keyboard person rather than mouse. I see someone in a store with their GUI cash register typing one word, reach for the mouse, type, reach, etc, and all I can say is "TAB KEY!"

GUIs are rarely more efficient or faster than a CLI. But man is mostly a visual critter, so a GUI is an easier tool with which to guide those who won't RTFM.

- Dan.