Hi there,

Just recently, a neighbour came to me asking if I could share my internet connection with her for a nominal fee per month because she "doesn't feel like paying the full amount to get the service set up herself etc etc" . She stated that her brother had been at her place and had detected I had a wireless connection (given my wireless router).

I told her that I had no interest in this arrangement at all as it is obviously illegal and I am also concerned about the security of my files. She has shown up a couple of times at my door since then saying that her brother is a network analyst and would ensure the cable company would never know about her surfing on my connection and said all he would need is my WEP password to access it. Their persistence is not only getting annoying, but concerning as well.

Currently, I have turned the router off and just have the cable modem going directly into the PB but this is really an inconvenience to me as the whole idea of buying the router was so that I could use my PB anywhere in my place.

I would really like to know if there are any measures I can take to protect my connection so they cannot access it and to ensure my files are safe.

Amber

PS. It did sort of strike me as odd that even though her brother is a Network administrator/analyst, he has not been able to get past the WEP password. Aren't these supposed to be relatively easy to crack if you know what you're doing ?