On 1/13/06, Amber R. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I told her that I had no interest in this arrangement at all as it is
> obviously illegal and I am also concerned about the security of my
> files.    She has shown up a couple of times at my door since then
> saying that her brother is a network analyst and would ensure the
> cable company would never know about her surfing on my connection and

> said all he would need is my WEP password to access it.  Their
> persistence is not only getting annoying, but concerning as well.

Sharing the connection is not illegal.  It will violate the terms of
service most likely though if you knowingly let them share it.  There
is nothing that could get you arrested though.

I wouldn't do it either way though, too many potential problems
letting them onto your network.  Now if they sneak into your network
and use it that is a problem since it would fall under breaking into
your network.  Also they might be liable for stealing of the service
from the provider.

> PS.  It did sort of strike me as odd that even though her brother is
> a Network administrator/analyst, he has not been able to get past the
> WEP password.  Aren't these supposed to be relatively easy to crack
> if you know what you're doing ?

Maybe they don't want to take that route.  That could get them in
legal trouble.   You may want to look into WPA instead of WEP.  It's
much better from a security persepctive, and OS X will support it.

-- Larry
"there are three things to cry for in life - things that are lost,
things that are found, and things that are magnificent.~douglas
coupland"