At 1:01 PM -0800 01/14/2006, John Siple wrote:
Is there a difference then between someone who knows how to turn security on and someone who doesn't if they both have open networks?

An interesting question!

The latter can plead ignorance, to the ISP. The former cannot. Then it's up to the ISP to decide what to do (apply penalty, press charges, etc).

I kind of like the idea of leaving mine unencrypted. I'm a bit of a commy nist at heart. I haven't left it open because I'm too dumb to set a password.

Me too (when I have a WAP here for testing). But I leave it open for nefarious purposes... When I see someone has connected, I try to reach into their computer. ;)

For a prime example of what's really happening take a war drive through a college campus. You'll find more open and encrypted networks than your screen can scroll through. If service providers wanted to hunt down malefactors they could do it easily.

I think they have to strike a balance... The cost of the lost bandwidth vs the cost of the hunt vs the payback and bad press nailing your customers generates.

It's a bit like the laws about copyright infringement on music CDs. Is there anyone out there who hasn't burned a music CD for a friend or relative? Like the service thing I much prefer paying for my music and I like having the real thing when it's a bit of art I really enjoy. I even like the idea that I'm sending money to the artist. Allows him to keep making music.

I agree. But there's a big diff between sharing a copy or two with a friend or relative, and sharing thousands of copies to the world at large.

I think the same things applies to ISPs. I doubt they fret over the open WAP where someone shares access periodically to their broke neighbor. It's the ones that facilitate the neighbor's bandwidth-sucking p2p server, or the spammer, or ...

- Dan.