I think the same things applies to ISPs. I doubt they fret over the open WAP where someone shares access periodically to their broke neighbor. It's the ones that facilitate the neighbor's bandwidth-sucking p2p server, or the spammer, or ...

- Dan.

Hello Dan,

I agree - My ISP didn't seem too alarmed at all when I discussed the fact that my neighbour was attempting to get onto my connection. However, he was very quick to warn that were I to allow this to happen that I could be held responsible for everything she or her network analyst brother did on-line. Should he be the type to download thousands of child porn files or engage an undercover officer in a chat about sex with a minor, I would be the one explaining myself when the police came to the door with a search warrant and seized all my stuff - just as Bob suggested.

I could face charges and at least temporary seizure of my computers and all my hard drives - not to mention the possibility of being arrested and taken to the police station. No thank you !!

My neighbour was back at my door this AM asking again (third time this past week) for access and the WEP password. She was extremely ticked off when I informed that I was still not interested or comfortable with giving her access, then said her brother was going to be coming by to deal with me later.

So, I have taken the router off-line for now and am just staying wired directly to the cable modem until this situation settles down a little.

Amber