On Jan 26, 2006, at 1:12 PM, Howard Katz wrote:

I wasn't aware of those--thanks.  Tho to be honest, at $40-50, I might
just put up with a weak signal--those are a bit pricy--the peecee at
work needed an external antenna, and we got a decent one for under
$10--granted, it's not being used on a book, but that's a major price
difference.  :)

One thing that you can do, which I did, is get a second router, there are some inexpensive ones that you might find on ebay or at one of the usual places. You set up that router as an AP, access point, at another location in your apartment. This will extend your signal. You do have to connect it via ethernet cable to your router My apartment, a duplex with 6" thick concrete floors and ceilings and cinderblock walls, didn't interfere with my Belkin Pre N router until a next-door neighbor installed the same router. I could not get a signal anymore in certain parts of the house, but his came through strong enough for me to accidentally lock on. He had no security and a slow cable service. Fortunately I still had my older Belkin 54g. Creating an AP on that solved the problem. I also got him to secure his network.

dan_A

<http://homepage.mac.com/danauerbach/PhotoAlbum1.html>