On Feb 1, 2006, at 5:54 PM, Tim Collier wrote:

Clarification here: you really replaced a program suite that you paid $400 for with open source NeoOffice? Pardon my doubt here, but Microsoft Office is the 'gold standard'.

Yes I did replace it, in a heartbeat...I don't have $400 (or rather $190, which is the academic price) to blow on an office suite.

MS office is NOT the "Gold Standard". It's the "Nobody ever got fired for specifying Microsoft" standard.

If Office is 'gold', it's only because people have only ever seen MS Office. Word is ok, Excel is a nice spreadsheet, Powerpoint is a kludged up hack that's merely gotten worse with age. Not only do we have endless hassles with PP presentations across platforms, we have it across versisons.

Powerpoint, bluntly, sucks large green donkey ones.

NeoOffice is slow to start up, but once up it's quite responsive, and quite compatible. <http://www.neooffice.org>

NeoOffice is the native Mac port, there's also an OpenOffice 2.0 version ported to the Mac that uses X-Windows. <http:// www.openoffice.org/>

It's faster than NeoOffice, but I've not looked at the NeoOffice site in a month or so. Improving speed was one of their top priorities.

I use OO routinely at work to open Powerpoint and Word files that Powerpoint or Word cannot open.

On Windows, where there's been considerably more effort put toward the port, OO is a total drop-in replacement for Office, IMO. People won't use it because they've swallowed all the FUD from Microsoft "Oh it might not be compatible!"

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'