On Feb 2, 2006, at 7:42 PM, Tim Collier wrote:

Stupid question here: What would make you want to 'gift' a 1000 G3's with Office? Gift them without and let the user decide what he wants to use.

My impression was that the computers are to those who have little experience with or money for computers - here, found what I think is the original message: "We gift PCs and Macs to folks who don't have access to technology."

If these people reach the point where they need a good office app, then they'll need good free or cheap alternatives, because face it, if they could afford Office, they could afford a computer and wouldn't be without access to technology; Office is more expensive than many used (and quite usable) computers!

But for that sort of person (my parents and an elderly friend, whose computers I set up, fall in the first category, that of no experience, so I know), you set up the computer with software to cover a full range of basic needs. They're not in a position at that point to choose what they want to use, and may never reach that point, just learning to use what's set up for them (especially if a good choice is made in the initial setup and it covers all of an average person's needs).

Anne