Stardate 060204.11:06 -0800. A subspace message from J Schooster reads:

I have a very old G3 PowerMac (the beige one, desktop,
not the tower) and I'm trying to transfer information
from it to my new 17" G4 laptop ... or to an external
hard drive that I have for backups.

In your shoes, I would buy a USB-and-Firewire interface card for the G3, and pop it into a spare PCI slot. They're incredibly cheap these days. Once you do that, you can turn your brand new, expensive shiny PowerBook into a very dumb, very expensive external hard drive with it's "Target Mode" feature.

One powers on the PowerBook and holds down the T key until the screen lights up and bounces a big Firewire logo around ... you can then plug it into the G3's new FireWire port, and the HD inside the PowerBook will mount & appear on your G3's desktop, just like a normal HD would.

Alternatively, you can turn on File Sharing on your G3, then share the G3's whole hard drive. Assuming the ol' dear is still running OS9, click the HD's icon, go to File -> Get Info -> Sharing> and set the privileges stuff so that it can be 'read & write' for everyone, click the 'make all folders inside like this one' box, close and save the sharing info window. Next, get a normal ethernet cable and join your two machines together. On your PowerBook, open a Finder window and click the Networks icon on the left. Your G3 *should* appear in the list - open it, and you should see all the G3's files.

If the G3's still running OSX, it's a little more fiddly, so get back to us :)

Geoffrey
--
 "I'm afraid music in the modern idiom is too repetitive for my tastes