On 2/4/06 11:06 AM, "J Schooster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a very old G3 PowerMac (the beige one, desktop,
> not the tower) and I'm trying to transfer information
> from it to my new 17" G4 laptop ...

They both have ethernet connectors so you can just connect the G3 to the G4
with an ethernet cable and they should see each other when you establish a
network. You may need a crossover cable (wired different than a normal
ethernet cable) for this to work. I'm fairly sure the G3 needs a crossover
cable and I'm also fairly certain that the G4 does not. What I don't know is
if you need one to connect the two. I'd try it with a regular cable first.

However, I find that cables are over priced, unless you have a friend that
will make one for you.

The same task can be accomplished if you purchase a 4 port switch or hub.
You connect the g3 to the hub with an ethernet wire and do the same with the
G4 and you are connected. If you have a external hard drive connected to the
G4, set it up to share and you will be able to see it from your G3 when you
network.

Hubs are cheaper (around $10 on sale) but slow down with each added
connection, switches cost a little more (though I got my last one for $11)
and have full speed at each port. Speed depends on your switch.

I know that the G3 is only 10Base-T, the slowest ethernet connection. So a
Hub should do.

Best regards.

Geno