On Feb 4, 2006, at 14:51, G-Books wrote:
I have a very old G3 PowerMac (the beige one, desktop,
not the tower) and I'm trying to transfer information
from it to my new 17" G4 laptop ... or to an external
hard drive that I have for backups. The external drive
has a USB connector and works nicely with my laptop...

The G3 has a SCSI drive, and I *think* I need a USB to
SCSI converter to connect it to either my laptop or
the external drive, but I'm not sure.

I've been pursuing the USB to SCSI adaptor question so I can connect my Pismo running Tiger to an assortment of older Powerbooks (SCSI disk mode).
So far I have not found an adaptor that will work in OSX.

This has motivated me to install OS 9.2.1 on the Pismo.
Now I need to download the Belkin drivers, boot into Classic and give it a try.

For your problem I agree with the USB and/or Firewire PCI card suggestion.
A lot simpler than messing with the SCSI disk and you get new ports.

Andrew in Ann Arbor
technology is the answer, what was the question?